If you’re considering buying silver earrings as an anniversary gift, whether for your spouse, friend or relative, don’t rush out there and buy the first ones you find. There are certain things you should be aware of and keep in your mind when looking for anniversary earrings. It is very rare to find jewelry made from solid silver, as this material is very difficult and impractical to work with. Sterling silver is usually the preferred choice of jewelry makers, and this means that the silver has been mixed with another alloy, usually copper to make it easier to work.
Sterling silver is a high grade classification of silver, and the materials quality makes it perfect for earrings.
Top Silver Wedding Anniversary Gift Ideas
Silver-Dipped Natural Rose
- natural rose coated in pure silver
- presented in a navy-blue velvet & leather case
- with a certificate of authenticity
- express free delivery
Rose Heart Pendant
- decorated with 21 sparkling synthetic diamonds
- real rose petals glazed and trimmed in 24 karat gold
- with certificate of authenticity
Matched Set in 24k Gold Leaf Theme
- includes a glazed natural rose, a pendant and earrings
- comes in a quality leather display case
- a lifetime warranty is included
Gold-Dipped Golf Ball & Tee Set
- dipped in 24k gold
- excellent durability while retaining the playability
- ideal for mounting and display purposes
24 Karat Gold-Dipped Poker Cards
- playable deck of poker cards dipped in 24 karat gold.
- produced to tournament grade standards
- presented in an elegant high quality case
Understanding the Different Grades of Sterling Silver
When you’re looking to buy sterling silver earrings you should take note of the hallmark, because this will indicate the quality and amount of silver.
|NAME||PERCENTAGE OF SILVER||HALLMARK|
The Choices Available for Anniversary Earrings for Pierced Ears
When it comes to buying anniversary earrings for people with pierced ears there are a wide variety of types and styles to choose from. Let’s take a look at a few of them.
- Stud earrings – this type of earring gives the appearance of floating on the ear lobe, with no visible point of connection. The stud is attached to a post which goes through the ear. The earring is held in place with a clutch or friction back that is removable, and is hidden behind the ear. They can be made purely of a precious metal, such as sterling silver, or embellished with a gemstone, most often diamonds.
- Hoop earrings – these are circular or semi-circular in design. The hoop can usually be opened so that it can be passed through the ear and then secured shut, so that it doesn’t fall out. Sleepers are a specific style of hoop earrings, originally designed to be worn at night, to prevent the piercing from closing over. They are often the first style of earring to be worn, following the initial piercing.
- Drop earrings – this style of earring features a gemstone or ornament that hangs down from the ear on a chain, hoop or something similar. They vary in length, and are also known as droplet, dangle or pendant earrings. Attached to the ear via thin wires that go through the ear lobe, connecting to themselves with a small hook at the back.
- Barbell earrings – these are called barbell earrings because they simply look like barbells. They are usually a metal bar with an orb at each end. One of the orbs is fixed, while the other can be detached to allow the bar to be inserted into the piercing. The bars can be straight, curved or angled.
- Huggy earrings – this style hugs the ear. They come in different shapes and sizes such as hearts, and squares.
- Ear thread – this style of earring features a thin chain that slips through the piercing, and simply dangles. Some people choose to add beads or other materials to the chain.
Different Styles for Different People
Different styles of earrings can be worn to both complement and correct the shape of a person’s face.
Long earrings will elongate a person’s face and neck, so are more suitable for people with round faces and short necks.
Small round earrings are perfect if your face is long. While long, dangling earrings are great for people with a squarer type of face.
Geometric shapes will sharpen your features, but you can soften a more angular face by wearing oval or round earrings.
The History of Earrings
Earrings actually started off as more of a male adornment. And while it is far more popular for women nowadays to wear earrings, more and more men are actually coming onboard. 7,000 years ago they were popular in Asia, and Egyptians and Assyrians wore earrings to signify they belonged to a higher class of people.
In Ancient Rome, earrings were worn predominantly by slaves, while in Ancient Greece it was the prostitutes who wore this adornment. If you were a wealthy Greek or Roman lady, earrings would be worn to indicate your social status.
In the Middle Ages, wearing earrings went in and out of fashion for men, several times. Until that is the 13th Century, when the Catholic Church made the piercing of ears forbidden. Only thieves, lower classes and pirates continued to wear earrings.
And which ear you wore your earring in also had some significance in history. The son of a single mother whose husband had been killed, wore an earring in the left ear, while the only boy in a family wore an earring in the right ear.
So as you can see, buying silver earrings is quite complicated. We hope we’ve given you enough information to make an informed choice.