While silver jewelry is an obvious choice when it comes to gift ideas for a silver wedding anniversary, it works equally well for many other kinds of gifts. Silver jewelry has always been fashionable, but it looks set to take over from gold as one of the most popular gifts, for both men and women.
Things to Look out for When Buying Silver Anniversary Jewelry
First take a close look at the item, to check whether it is designed for a man or a woman. This is often hard to distinguish, particularly when it comes to silver rings. If you’re at all unsure, then ask the assistant in the jewelry store. Think about the items the person you’re buying for already has in their jewelry collection. A lady with lots of rings might appreciate something different this time round. You should always strive to find something unique and individual. When it comes to buying jewelry for a man, remember that most men prefer something that is understated, rather than something way over the top.
Silver Wedding Anniversary Jewelry Ideas
Silver-Dipped Natural Rose
- natural rose coated in pure silver
- presented in a navy-blue velvet & leather case
- with a certificate of authenticity
- express free delivery
Pink Rose Pendant
- created from pink miniature rose petals
- beautifully integrated 30 synthetic diamonds in leaf theme
- with certificate of authenticity
Matched Set in 24k Gold Leaf Theme
- includes a glazed natural rose, a pendant and earrings
- comes in a quality leather display case
- a lifetime warranty is included
Gold-Dipped Golf Ball & Tee Set
- a genuine golf ball and tee both dipped in pure 24k gold
- a perfect complement to any golfer's display cabinet, trophy shelf, or mantel piece
- ideal for mounting on a trophy
24 Karat Gold-Dipped Poker Cards
- playable deck of poker cards dipped in 24 karat gold.
- produced to tournament grade standards
- presented in an elegant high quality case
Why Many People Prefer Silver
Silver has become a very popular material when it comes to gifts of jewelry. And not just because it’s the most appropriate material for a silver wedding anniversary. Silver is much less expensive than metals such as gold or platinum, but is nevertheless still a good investment. Silver can look far more valuable than gold, and sets off particular precious stones, such as diamonds, particularly well. Silver jewelry blends perfectly with many different skin tones, as it harmonises well with many different colors.
Always be wary of the quality of the silver jewelry you’re buying.
How to Tell if Silver Jewelry is Real
There are many metals that look like silver, so it’s important to understand how to tell if the pieces you are buying are real or some cheap imitation.
- Check for a stamp – real silver, or sterling silver will have a hallmark, consisting of 3 digits. The stamp will be very tiny but look closely enough and you should be able to find it. The digits indicate the percentage of silver contained in the metal, and indicate that the piece was made by a reputable producer. The higher the numbers the greater the percentage of pure silver.
- Look for staining – if a piece of silver jewelry is not the genuine article, it will leave traces of discoloration on your skin. The area of skin that is underneath the item changes color, typically to a light green. During oxidation, your skin reacts with the metal, and turns green. This usually indicates that there is a high level of copper.
- Have the piece valued – if you’re still not sure about the quality of the silver jewelry have it professionally valued. There is bound to be a reputable and qualified one in your neighborhood. They’ll be able to take a close look at it and quickly determine whether it is real. They may choose to run some tests, and will certainly be able to give you an estimated value.
Caring for Silver Anniversary Jewelry
Sterling silver is a beautiful metal for jewelry to be made from and perfect for everyday wear. But to keep your sterling silver earrings in perfect condition requires a small amount of care. Sterling silver should be kept away from bleach and household cleaners as it will damage the finish. And you should always take your silver earrings out before going swimming. Sterling silver is relatively easy to take care of if you follow a few simple rules.
- Don’t store your silver earrings in the open air for long periods of time, as it will cause the metal to tarnish. This tarnish will start off with a golden hue, but will quickly change to black. Tarnishing is caused by oxidisation, and moisture from the air and sunshine.
- Keep your sterling silver items in an airtight bag, preferably made of tarnish proof cloth or a zip lock plastic bag.
- Your sterling silver earrings shouldn’t be allowed to rub up against any other items, because while sterling silver is scratch resistant it isn’t actually scratch proof.
- The more you wear your earrings the less likely they are to tarnish, because the natural oils in your skin minimise the tarnishing process.
- Clean your silver jewelry with a soft cotton cloth. If you need to use a brush, then only use one that has soft bristles, such as a baby brush.
- You can also use a very mild solution of water and dish washing detergent, if the earrings are particularly badly stained.
- To remove a high level of tarnish, you’re better off using a silver paste cleaner, or silver polish spray.
When it comes to buying silver anniversary jewelry, buy the highest quality silver you can afford, and choose a style that the receiver will love.